Key Facts about Belgium

Explore these key facts on the city of Belgium

Location

Belgium is situated in the western part of Europe, bordering the North Sea, between France and the Netherlands.

Land Area

Belgium is about the same size as Maryland and stretches over an total are of 30, 528sq km, which 30, 278 sq km is land and 250sq km is water. Belgium has a coastline of 66,5 km.

Climate

Belgium has a general temperate climate with mild winters and cool summers. Belgium tends to be very humid in the summer and it also gets plenty rain.

Natural Resources and Hazards

Belgium is not extremely blessed with natural resources but the main recognized natural resources are, construction materials, silica sand and carbonates. The only experienced natural hazards are flooding along the riverbanks and the coastline.

Population and Employment

Belgium has a total population of 10,364,388 (July 2005 est.) inhabitants, with a general life expectancy at birth of 78,62 years. The country has a total labour force of 4, 750 000 people that are occupied in services 74.2%, industry 24.5% and agriculture 1.3% (2003 est.). Belgium has a very high unemployment rate of 12% (2004 est.).

Religion

75% of the population of Belgium are Roman Catholics and the other 25% of the population are Protestants and non-religious.

Flag

The flag of Belgium consists of three vertical bands of black (left side), yellow (middle) and red (right side).

Agricultural Products and Main Industries

The main agricultural products of Belgium are sugar beets, fresh vegetables, fruits, grain, tobacco, beef, veal, pork and milk. The main industries of Belgium are engineering and metal products, scientific instruments, transportation equipment, motor vehicle assembly, processed food and beverages, basic metals , chemicals, glass, textiles and petroleum.

Capital

The capital of Belgium is Brussels, with an huge population of 1,010 000 inhabitants.

Time Zone

GMT plus 1 hour

 



User Comments & Reviews: 0 Comment(s)

Latest Travel Articles

Birds Experience the Natural Beauty of Lofoten in Norway The archipelago of Lofoten, situated in North Norway within the Arctic Ci...
OtagoPeninsula Visit the City of Dunedin in New Zealand Home to New Zealand's oldest university, the University of Otago establis...
ScubaDiving Underwater Wonders at Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park Situated off the Island of Cozumel in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, ...

Password Reminder

Or sign in using one of the following providers: