Virtual Countries Travel, World Destination Travel Guide

Go Back   Virtual Countries Discussion Forum > Country Specific > Belgium > Culture/Culture/Cultuur > Religion/Religion/Religie

Notices

Old 29th May 2002, 15:27

I am going to be studying at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel for one year starting in October. I am from South Africa and can speak Afrikaans, English, German and Dutch. I am a member of "Stadtmission Johannesburg" (City Missionary Johannesburg), a German-speaking Protestant church. I would like to know if there are any German or Flemish/Dutch Protestant churches in Brussels? Can somebody please send me some information. Thank you very much!

Ek gaan by die Vrije Universiteit Brussel vir een jaar studeer beginnende in Oktober. Ek is vanuit Suid-Afrika en kan Afrikaans, Engels, Duits en Nederlands praat. Ek is 'n lidmaat van "Stadtmission Johannesburg" (Stadsending Johannesburg), 'n Duitstalige Protestantse kerk. Ek sal graag wil weet of daar enige Duitse of Vlaamse/Nederlandse Protestante kerke is in Brussel? Kan iemand my asseblief inligting stuur. Baie dankie!
Old 4th July 2002, 23:02

Smile Protestant Church in Brussel

Dear Johan,
I have found two protestant churches, but I am afraid, they are both French-speaking:

BRUXELLES 1040
Communauté Evangélique Européenne
Av. Hansen Soulie 93, Bte 1
Pasteur: Joseph Bravo
V: So 16.00, 17.00, Fr 19.30

BRUXELLES 1190 (FOREST)
Centre Evangélique de Forest
Avenue Van Volxem 194
( (02) 347.57.29
Pasteur: Guy Hamelle, ( (02) 344.31.35
V: So 10.00, 18.00, Di 19.00, Do 19.00, Sa 18.00

Maybe you can go there or call and ask for the addres of a Flemish church?
I have seen you are from South Africa, have you ever been to Kwasizabantu?

Ewa
Old 5th July 2002, 10:52

Thanks Ewa!

I actually found a Dutch Protestant church in Brussels (the only one). I haven't been to Kwasizabanthu, but from the name I gather it is either in Eastern Cape or KwaZulu Natal. What place is it? I am from Gauteng and mostly go to Limpopo Province or Mpumalanga.
Old 5th July 2002, 23:32

Kwasizabantu

Dear Johan,
I am happy you have already found the church you were looking for.
Last year I have read some books on the revival at Kwasizabantu, it’s very interesting for me, that’s why the question if you have ever been there. It seems to be a very big German-speaking mission, in any case the founder comes from a German-speaking church. How many official languages do you have in South Africa?
I wish you good luck for your study and all best for your stay in Belgium.
Regards,
Ewa
Old 6th July 2002, 18:10

Hi!

We have 11 ooficial languages in South Africa.10 of these are indigenous to South Africa, English being the only one that is not native. The 11 languages are English, Afrikaans, Northern Sotho (Sepedi), Southern Sotho (Sesotho), Tswana, Swazi, Zulu, Xhosa, Ndebele, Tsonga and Venda.

My home language is Afrikaans, but I can also speak English, Sepedi and German. Being able to speak Sepedi, i can also understand Sesotho and Tswana and I can also understand and speak a little Dutch because of Afrikaans.

Well, just shout if you want to know more.

Bye and enjoy your day!
Totsiens en geniet jou dag! (Afrikaans)
Sala gabotse 'mme ipshine lehono! (Sepedi)
Old 7th July 2002, 19:29

Hi Johan!
Surely you will not have any problem with Dutch!
But one question more: You did not mention German as an official language, but you said you were a member of a German-speaking church. Why this church if you are not native speaker in German and what is the role of German in South Africa? If it is a language of a minority why it is not an official language like the others?
Best greetings,
Ewa
Old 7th July 2002, 19:48

Hi Ewa!

I am origanally a member of an Afrikaans speaking church (Gereformeerde Kerk), but last year a joined Stadtmission (German speaking church). The German church was nearer to my house and I like the youth group more. I can speak German fluently because I had it as a subject at school till Grade 12.

German is not an official language, but a minority language. There is a very large German community in South Africa, about 40 000 I think. There are a lot of german schools and churches in South Africa. But there are also Greek, French, Portuguese, Italian, Japanese etc (the list goes on and on) schools and churches in South Africa. We are truly a melting pot of cultures. I joked with a friend today that you will allmost find any culture group of the world in South Africa.

But all these languages are not considered native. Only the native languages are official and English, because there is a large group of South Africans that speak English as a home language. The South African English dialect is very distinct though, with a lot of loan words from native languages. English is also the "link" language between different cultures.

Two languages are compulsary in our schools, most people taking their home language and English. But English speaking people have to learn another language then (most take Afrikaans, because it is easier to learn). But you can take more than language if you want to (I took Afrikaans, English, German and Sepedi).

If you want to know more, just ask.

Groete!
Johan

Old 8th July 2002, 23:50

Hi Johan!
Thank you for your reply.
You live in a wonderful country. It is a pity, that most of SouthAfrica.com sides are not available
Best greetings. Have a nice holidays and a nice stay in Belgium!
Ewa
Old 17th July 2002, 22:16

Couls I have the address of that church???

Hello Johan!

I read your question by accident when I was lloking for a protestant church myself. Could I please have the address of the church you found?? Would be great. Mayb we'll see each other there one day!!!

Maaike Goyens
Old 10th November 2002, 17:28

Hi!

Sorry that I haven't replied earlier, but I have been busy moving to Brussels and started my course which take up mst of my time. The address for the only Dutch Protestant Church in Brussels is:

Protestantse Kerk Samen op Weg
Nieuwe Graanmarkt 8, 1000, Brussel.

The people are very friendly and the services good.

Hope this was still of some value to you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: