Key Facts about Hong Kong

Know these key facts on Hong Kong

Location

Hong Kong is situated in Eastern Asia, bordering the South China Sea and China.

Land Area

Hong Kong is about six times the size of Washington DC, and stretches over a total area of 1,092 sq km, which 1,042 sq km is land and 50 sq km is water. Hong Kong has a total coastline of 733 km.

Climate

Hong Kong has a tropical monsoon climate, with cool and humid winters, hot and rainy conditions from spring through summer and warm and sunny conditions in fall.

Natural Resources and Hazards

The main recognized natural resources of Hong Kong is an outstanding deepwater harbour and a feldspar. The only natural hazards that occur in Hong Kong is occasional typhoons.

Population and Employment

Hong Kong has a total population of 6,898 686 (July 2005 est.) people with a average life expectancy at birth of 81.39 years. Hong Kong has a total labour force of 3.54 million people (October 2004 est.), mostly occupied in manufacturing 7.5%, construction 2.9%, wholesale and retail trade, restaurants, and hotels 43.7%, financing, insurance, and real estate 19.2%, transport and communications 7.9%, community and social services 18.5%.

Religion

90% of Hong Kong's population has an eclectic mixture of local religions, and the other 10% is Christians.

Flag

Hong Kong has a red flag with a stylized, white, five-petal bauhinia flower in the middle of the flag.

Agricultural Products and Main Industries

Hong Kong's main agricultural products are fresh vegetables, poultry, fish and pork. The main industries are textiles, clothing, tourism, banking, shipping, electronics, plastics, toys, watches and clocks.

Time Zone

GMT plus 8 hours

 



User Comments & Reviews: 0 Comment(s)

Latest Travel Articles

Birds Experience the Natural Beauty of Lofoten in Norway The archipelago of Lofoten, situated in North Norway within the Arctic Ci...
OtagoPeninsula Visit the City of Dunedin in New Zealand Home to New Zealand's oldest university, the University of Otago establis...
ScubaDiving Underwater Wonders at Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park Situated off the Island of Cozumel in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, ...

Password Reminder

Or sign in using one of the following providers: