Key Facts about Sweden

Key facts on the country of Sweden

Location

Sweden is situated in Northern Europe between Finland and Norway, bordering the Baltic Sea, the Gulf of Bothnia, Kattegat and Skagerrak.

Land Area

Sweden is slightly larger than California and stretches over an total area of 449,964 sq km, which 410,934 sq km is land and 39,030 sq km is water. Sweden has a total coastline of 3,218 km.

Climate

Sweden has a temperate climate in the south with cold, cloudy winters and cool, partly cloudy summers. It has a sub-arctic climate in the north.

Natural Resources and Hazards

Sweden's known natural resources are iron ore, gold, copper, zinc, lead, uranium, tungsten, arsenic, timber, feldspar and hydropower. The experienced natural hazards are ice floes in the surrounding waters, especially in the Golf of Bothnia that can interfere with the maritime traffic.

Population and Employment

Sweden has a total population of 9,001,774 (July 2005 est.) inhabitants, with a total working force of 4.46 million (2004 est.) people, mainly occupied in agriculture 2%, industries 24% and services 74%. Sweden has a fairly low unemployment rate of 5.6% (2004 est.).

Religion

87% of Sweden's population are Lutherans and the other 13% are mainly Roman Catholics, Orthodox, Baptists, Muslims, Jewish and Buddhists.

Flag

Sweden's flag is blue with a golden yellow cross extending to the edges of the flag. The vertical part of the cross is shifted to the hoist side in the style of the Dannebrog.

Agricultural Products and Main Industries

Sweden's main agricultural products are barley, wheat, sugar beets, meat and milk and their main industries are precision equipment such as, bearings, radio and telephone parts, and armaments, iron and steel, wood pulp and paper products, processed foods and motor vehicles.

Capital

The capital of Sweden is Stockholm with a total population of 1,760 000 inhabitants.

Time Zone

GMT plus 1 hour

 



User Comments & Reviews: 0 Comment(s)

Latest Travel Articles

Birds Experience the Natural Beauty of Lofoten in Norway The archipelago of Lofoten, situated in North Norway within the Arctic Ci...
OtagoPeninsula Visit the City of Dunedin in New Zealand Home to New Zealand's oldest university, the University of Otago establis...
ScubaDiving Underwater Wonders at Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park Situated off the Island of Cozumel in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, ...

Password Reminder

Or sign in using one of the following providers: