Key Facts about Turkey

Key Facts when Traveling to Turkey

Location

Turkey is located in southeastern Europe and southwestern Asia, bordering the Black Sea, between Bulgaria and Georgia, and bordering the Aegean Sea and the Mediterranean Sea, between Greece and Syria.

Land Area

Turkey is slightly larger than Texas and stretches over a total land area of 780,580 sq km, which 770,760 sq km is land and 9,820 sq km is water.

Climate

Turkey has a temperate climate with hot , dry summers and mild, wet winters. The inland has a little harsher weather conditions.

Natural Resources and Hazards

The known natural resources of Turkey is coal, iron ore, chromium, copper, mercury, antimony, gold, borate, barite, emery, feldspar, limestone, marble, magnesite, perlite, pyrites, pumice, clay, arable land, and hydropower. And the main natural hazards experienced in Turkey are very severe earthquakes, especially in northern Turkey, along an arc extending from the Sea of Marmora to Lake Van.

Population and Employment

The population of Turkey is 69,660,559 (July 2005 est.) and the average labor force is 25.3 million, working mostly in agriculture 35.9%, industry 22.8% and services 41.2%. Turkey has a underemployment rate of 9.3 % and an underemployment rate of a possible 4.0% (2004 est.).

Religion

99.8% of Turkey's population are Muslims and the other 0.2% are mostly Christians and Jews.

Flag

Turkey's flag is red with a vertical white crescent and white five-pointed star centered just outside the crescent opening.

Economy

Turkey's active economy is a compound mix of modern industry and commerce along with a traditional agriculture sector that in 2004 still accounted for more than 35% of employment. It has a strong and fast growing private sector, thus so far the state still plays a major role in basic industry, banking, transport, and communication. The largest industrial sector is textiles and clothing, which accounts for one-third of industrial employment; it faces stiff competition in international markets with the end of the global quota system.

Agricultural Products and Main Industries

The main agricultural products in Turkey are tobacco, cotton, grain, olives, sugar beets, pulse, citrus and livestock. The main industries in Turkey is textiles, food processing, autos, mining, steel, petroleum, construction, lumber and paper.

Infrastructure

Turkey has a diverse infrastructure with a total of 8,697 km of railways, 354,421 km of highways, 1,200 km of waterways, 9 port and harbors and 119 airports.

Capital

The capital of Turkey is Ankara with a population of 5,153,000 (2005 est.) people.

Time Zone

GMT plus 2 hours.

 



User Comments & Reviews: 0 Comment(s)

Latest Travel Articles

Birds Experience the Natural Beauty of Lofoten in Norway The archipelago of Lofoten, situated in North Norway within the Arctic Ci...
OtagoPeninsula Visit the City of Dunedin in New Zealand Home to New Zealand's oldest university, the University of Otago establis...
ScubaDiving Underwater Wonders at Arrecifes de Cozumel National Park Situated off the Island of Cozumel in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo, ...

Password Reminder

Or sign in using one of the following providers: